Thursday 8 November 2012

English: Pronoun


PRONOUN (for noun)

The word used instead of a noun is called pronoun

Ex-      Sam is my friend.
            I met Sam in a function. ( I met him in a function).
            Sam stays in hostel. ( He stays in hostel).
Here, we use “he” instead of Sam.

Kinds of pronoun

  • personal --  I, we , she , her, mine etc
  • demonstrative – this , that , these , those
  • distributive – Either, neither
  • indefinite – any, each, some
  • reflexive – Myself, yourself, himself
  • emphatic – myself, himself
  • reciprocal – each other, one another
  • interrogative – which, what

Case chart

Cases

Person
Nominative
Objective
 Possessive

Singular

plural

Singular

plural

Singular

plural

1st person
I
We
Me
Us
My/mine
Our

2nd person
You
You
You
You
Your
your

3rd person
He/ she
They
Him/her
Them
His/her
Their

Rules

** pronouns are always case sensitive
Ex-      He is taller than me. (Wrong)
            He is taller than I.  (Right)
** when all the 3 persons are to be used together in a sentence, they should be used in 2,3,1 pattern.
Ex- you, he & I are declared as the best students.
** when subjects are in danger, at that time 123 pattern.
Ex- I, you and he are summoned by the court

No comments:

Post a Comment